I am writing to you as the Executive Director of Wide Angle Tasmania, an independent, not-for-profit organisation that has delivered grassroots opportunities and resources to the Tasmanian screen sector for the past 16 years. Wide Angle has a vested interest in the outcome from the discussion about the Options Paper because we are committed to;
- a strong screen culture – where audiences can watch screen stories that reflect our diverse Australian society – and engage with screen stories that shape our culture
- policy that supports career pathways and employment for regional filmmakers, cast and crew. Regional production provides career pathways, employment and significantly contributes to the Tasmanian economy
The Australian Screen Industry is an employment intensive industry and one that is significant both economically and culturally. The review and Options Paper represents an unprecedented opportunity for us to:
- level the playing field for Free-to-Air (FTA) broadcasters and, streaming and SVOD services (collectively “the Channels”);
- incentivise and grow the Australian Screen Industry;
- increase the Australian screen industry’s export reach and revenue;
- increase regional productions that will provide career pathways and increased employment for current and future generations of cast, technicians, management and support staff;
- establish a framework that will be embraced by the industry in its entirety; and
- ensure that Australian culture is reflected on our screen and shaped by these screen stories.
Wide Angle Tasmania recommends that to achieve these aims, a version of Model 3 would be appropriate and that Screen Producers Australia are well positioned to provide detailed recommendations.
I would be delighted to have the opportunity to discuss this further with you.
Wide Angle Tasmania
(03) 6223 8344