Raw Nerve was a national production initiative of Screen Australia and Screen Network, delivered in Tasmania between 2008 and 2015 by Wide Angle Tasmania. Wide Angle Tasmania has continued this innovative model of mentored production through the annual initiative NERVE.
Wide Angle Tasmania assisted uncredited filmmakers to take their idea from script, through each stage of production, to a finished film ready for national and international festival release. In 2013, 2014 and 2015 ABC2 partnered with Screen Network to broadcast the short films nationally and on iview.
Each early career practitioner received a package valued at over $20 000 that included;
• mentoring from an experienced screen industry practitioner
• advice through the script editing process
• $4 000 cash budget
• free enrolment in relevant WAT training
• $5 000 value of production and post production equipment hire from WAT
• insurances for the film and volunteer cast and crew
• a colour grade and sound mix provided by a post-production studio
• a gala launch of the films
Previous Raw Nerve films have been selected for prestigious film festivals including Flickerfest, St Kilda, Heart of Gold, World of Women and select international film festivals including Frameline. Tasmanian Raw Nervers from past years have continued to attract support from Screen Australia, Screen Tasmania, build screen businesses and be selected for film schools nationally.